A special welcome to everyone to The Story Room......Hope and Courage. We meet Monday evenings, starting around 8:00 pm EST. A PAC2 member posts his/her story, and the rest of us can read and reply. The person "hosting" each week will stick around a bit to read and reply to your comments. The post will remain up all week for those who may not be with us on Monday evening, and comments will remain open, so feel free to leave a reply or message during the week. There are no rules in The Story Room. Please share whatever you want to share. Whether you are in the fight now, are off-treatment, have lost a child or even if the child you are "mourning" is still alive ("pre-grief" can be a very lonely and confusing time), you can come to this diary and process your story in whatever way works for you. We can't solve each other's problems, but we can be a sounding board and a place of connection. If you would like to volunteer for a specific date, please contact us at thestoryroom@peopleagainstchildhoodcancer.org - everyone is welcome. This is the schedule for the upcoming weeks, let us know if you would like to contribute.

August 29 - Lisa Bender
September 5 - Monica Fochtman
September 12 - Jessica Gerber
September 19 - Regina Siddiqui
September 26 - Stathi Afendoulis

I recently wrote an article for my company's newsletter that focused on where people were and what they were doing on September 11, 2001. I commented that it was astonishing how so many could remember exactly what they were doing when the airplanes hit the towers. On the morning of 9/11, I remember picking up my 5-year old daughter from kindergarten and she came running out of school yelling,"Mommy did you hear? Our country got robbed!"

For most of us, I am sure, there is another day that we can recall like it was yesterday- the day our children were diagnosed. For me, that day was February 22, 2005. My son Jack was seven years old when he was d/x with AML. 

I remember that first night staying at Children's Memorial Hospital, and my cell phone rang. It was Jack's 1st grade intramural basketball coach, whom I did not know, calling to say Jack was picked to be on his team and to give me the schedule for practices. Looking back on that night, I guess I was probably in shock. Literally. I did somehow get out the words-" I don't know if Jack will be able to go to practices. He has cancer." He was able to play 2 games that season, in between rounds of chemo.

On the HOPE side:Two weeks after Jack's diagnosis, in March of 2005, I received a card in the mail from a good friend Dawn. She wrote that while she didn't know what to do for us, she and her husband Derek had decided to join the Bone Marrow Registry in hopes of helping someone like Jack. On November 11, 2010,  Derek got the call he was a perfect match for a man in California. Derek was able to donate his marrow last January and recently received a thank you card from the recipient.

Jack has been in remission for six years now. While I am grateful every day, I still find it ironic to consider my son one of the "lucky" ones, even though I do. Because like our country that got robbed on 9/11, all of our families have been robbed, as well. And that is why I continue to fight today-and every day. 

Views: 180

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you Lisa for sharing Jack's story, and for continuing to fight, today and every day.

Lisa,

Thanks for sharing your journey with us. Together we stand & fight today and every day.

~Momcologist Mary, mom to Kate... ALL cancer survivor

RSS

Coalition Against Childhood Cancer

PAC2 is proud founding member of the Coalition Against Childhood Cancer!

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Sharon Fitzsimmons Wozny is now a member of People Against Childhood Cancer
Jun 24
Barbara Faye Bartlett updated their profile
Jun 17
Ulrike Szalay is now a member of People Against Childhood Cancer
May 5
Tracy is now a member of People Against Childhood Cancer
Mar 30