Dear Friends of Alex's Lemonade Stand,
As we finish up the first half of June, we are so grateful for the outpouring of support for childhood cancer that we have seen over the past 10 days. With thousands of stands and events this month, a hugely successful phone bank, a beautiful tribute to Alex by her former elementary school (watch video) , and a bigger than ever Great Chefs Event , the past two weeks have been meaningful and rewarding in every way. To say I am overwhelmed is an understatement!
It seems like only yesterday that Alex was battling cancer and persistently asking us when she could hold a lemonade stand to help "her doctors" help other kids with cancer.
Who could have imagined that 10 years later her "stand" would be a foundation that is changing the world of pediatric cancer research? I am so grateful every day for what it has become - I am inspired by Alex, but I am also inspired by all of you who continue to support her dream of a cure for all children with cancer.
Of course, I also miss Alex every day. Last week, I spent some time reflecting on the fact that it has been a decade since Alex's first stand. As I thought about the past decade, with all its happiness and sadness, I realized that this milestone in the history of the foundation coincides with what should have been a milestone in Alex's life. Today, Alex would have finished her last week of middle school, and celebrated her passage into high school with her classmates and friends.
That really gave me a lot to think about...What would Alex be like as a 14-year-old? Who would her friends be? How would she get along with her brothers? Would she get along with me or think I was annoying? So many questions, so many things I will never know. As I thought about these things I will never come to know, I realized all of the things I am privileged to know. Life lessons that I have learned because of Alex, her life, her legacy, and the wonderful supporters who continue it.
So, in that spirit, I created a List of 10 Lessons learned over the past decade:
1) Our children are much stronger than we are in every way.
2) Truly living for the day is something everyone should experience in their lifetime.
3) Good friends are found in tough times.
4) Life is unfair sometimes~ accept it and make something good out of it.
5) Putting on a happy face can actually make you feel happy (try it, it works!).
6) There are many more good people in the world than bad people.
7) Time does not heal all wounds.
8) Inspiration comes in all shapes and sizes.
9) One person can truly make a difference in the world.
10) Many people working together can accomplish amazing things.. including curing childhood cancer.
Thank you Alex, and thank you Alex's Lemonade Stand Supporters. You have a lot to be proud of.