Ethan is having so much pain after vincristine. Docs act like he shouldn't be having so much pain. Any suggestions?

Views: 317

Replies to This Discussion

Our son Chase had severe tingling in his feet, legs, and hands afterwards.  Your doctor can prescribe neurontin, which is actually an epilepsy drug, but it helps with the neuropathy.  We had to ask for it too as the docs don't seem to be up with the side effects from vincristine.  Also, hot/warm soaks in the tub.  Hope this helps.  The side effects are so challenging.  God bless you.

My daughter had terrible pain from the vincristine. Along with the pain and tingling in her hands and feet, she had terrible joint pain and extreme pain throughout her body.  The doctors did prescribe neurontin, and kept increasing the dose until they found what worked.  It did help with the tingling in her hands and feet, although the joint and body pain were hard to treat.  The doctors really couldn't find anything to help with that pain, although it was less severe with the neurontin.  She also developed gastroparesis, which the doctors feel is from the vincristine as well.  

I hope Ethan finds relief soon! 

My son has also had problems with Vincristine, he had also developed neuropathy. His neuropathy also developed into Autonomic Neuropathy which was very difficult to over come. He has had a reduction in dosage of Vincristine to 50% and may not be able to continue with much more that 50%. Neurontin (Gabapentin) has worked for his neuropathy but may have also caused ulcers in his mouth, an uncommon side effect of Gabapentin is the forming of ulcers. But remember that Gabapentin is a proven drug against Neuropathy and it does work, but watch for this side effect it may be confused with ulcers from Methotrexate.

I'd say yes that it causes pain , my daughter is achy from it usually. We are only 2 months in so not sure how it will cahnge later on.

RSS

Coalition Against Childhood Cancer

PAC2 is proud founding member of the Coalition Against Childhood Cancer!

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

Jim Warren updated their profile
15 hours ago
Jim Warren posted a status
"Hello. How do I find Susan Swafford, please?"
Monday
Jim Warren is now a member of People Against Childhood Cancer
Monday
Justin Zellinger is now a member of People Against Childhood Cancer
Apr 10

Discussion Forum

Hemoglobin levels

Started by Fighting ALL cancer. Last reply by Stacey Voss Jan 5, 2013. 1 Reply

pain from vincristine

Started by Kate J. Last reply by Fighting ALL cancer Jan 7, 2012. 4 Replies

recipe book, fun ideas for foods that help em fight

Started by Jacqueline Daugherty. Last reply by Sharon Johnson Feb 11, 2011. 3 Replies

playing sports with Medi port

Started by Kate J. Last reply by Sharon Johnson Nov 10, 2010. 5 Replies

Relapsed ALL

Started by colleen whitt. Last reply by colleen whitt Sep 28, 2010. 4 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by AJs Dad.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service